Knowing when to invest in new locks is very important. It could be your first home, or you could have moved house several times before, whichever it is the experience is similar for everyone, a lot of stress mixed with a lot of excitement! This is why it is so easy for most people to overlook one of the most important home security measures you should take whenever you move home, getting the locks changed. This may not seem like a big deal when you have so much to do in order to get settled into your new home however this should be something that’s at the top of your to do list to keep all your belongings and furniture that you are moving into your new home safe.
When you move into a new property, unless you are the first person to occupy it then you can’t be sure of who else has a key to your property and how many of them are still in circulation!
Home Office Statistics
- Within the first twelve months of moving into a new property the chances of being burgled are almost doubled when compared to the average burglary rate – 4.6% compared to 2.5%
- When moving into a new property you are almost three times as likely to get burgled when compared to those that have occupied their property for ten years or more – 4.6% compared to 1.6%
- Homeowners that implement no home security measures are a massive ten times more likely to get burgled when compared to those that implement simple home security measures such as changing door and window locks – 22.5% compared to 2.5%
Who Has A Key To Your New Property?
Statistics show that every year around 37,500 property’s will have new occupants and most homeowners are completely unaware that there is likely to be at least one set of keys to their new property in circulation.
A survey conducted by NOP showed that over 58% of British homeowners give a spare set of keys to a friend or relative.
In a separate survey Halifax Home Insurance revealed a massive 12 million adults have lost their house keys, sometimes up to 6 times, in the last ten year and none bothered to get the locks changed!
If when you move home, or lose your keys, you don’t get the locks changed, you can never be 100% sure that your home is secure, you don’t know who may have found or have a copy of your keys. It is also important to note that if you do become the victim of a burglary and you never had your locks changed when you moved in some insurers wont process a claim as they will say you never took the necessary steps to ensure your property is secure.
By having your locks changed and even upgraded to more secure locks, you will have piece of mind that your property is secure and you know exactly who has a copy of the keys, you can also feel safe and secure in your new property knowing that you have improved your home security measures.
Other Reasons You May Want To Change Locks
- Damaged or broken locks
- Locks don’t meet either BS3621 OR TS007
- You don’t have all the keys to the windows or doors
If you have recently moved or are moving home and you need the locks changing or upgrading, then contact City Locksmiths Bristol today – 0117 287 2012